With utmost respect we approached the design of the Mars Education Center at Fort Ticonderoga. The Fort is an integral part of American history both for its physical presence and for its mythical status; it is a national historic landmark with archeological significance and an important role in the development of the American preservation movement. Our design of the exterior a faithfully reconstructs the le magasin du Roi, the French military building that first occupied first until its destruction in 1759. The interior is a contemporary museum education building, galleries and visitor support facilities. This LEED-certified “green” building has enabled the Museum to expand its visitor services to tell a more nuanced story of the site and fulfill its role as a steward of the natural and the historic setting.